I think any cyclists that have spent time on gravel knows their current shoes aren’t specifically built for the application. Road shoes are too stiff and mountain too clunky. A gravel shoe is in between the two.
Finally, someone is making one.
Way back, before adventure was labelled as gravel, I had a pair of Vittorias made for me. They glued a retro leather upper onto a mountain sole. They’re amazing. I hope the GR2 and gravel shoes to follow are as good.
According to Bontrager, the GR2 is purpose-built for gravel. Like the Cyclo pedal, it’s perfect for a multitude of off-road surfaces. In a few product cycles, expect that you’ll have just one shoe for dirt, road, and anything in between.
Constructed with easily adjustable laces, a grippy foray outsole for added stability on rough terrain, and durable synthetic leather upper, the GR2 also has GnarGuard abrasion resistance.
Bontrager GR2 Gravel Shoe
- In the comfort zone—a durable synthetic leather upper cradles your foot in comfort and stands up to the daily abuse of even the toughest trails.
- Just-right fit—inForm Race last offers a slightly roomier, high-performance fit for long days on and off the bike.
- Sensibly stiff—A nylon composite Bronze Series sole provides stiff-yet-walkable performance with a stiffness index of 6 of 14.
- Classic looks, modern features—A durable, traditional lace closure system with a convenient elastic lace keeper allows for infinite adjustability and quick replacements if needed.
- Ready to roam—A 2-bolt SBD-compatible Tachyon rubber outsole gives you a better grip on all terrains.
- Scuff saver—GnarGuard rubberized coating on the toe and heel adds durability and protects against abrasions and debris.
The new Bontrager GR2 Gravel Shoe costs $139.99 MSRP online and through Trek retailers.…
My daily shooter is Sony a9 II with a vertical grip and various Sigma lenses attached like the 14mm 1.4 Art. Find more recommendations on our store page. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.