After sneak peaking the Wilier Superleggera last Fall, I finally rode it around the lake (it was a long winter). And, what you need to know is, it took bike carbon manufacturers 25 years to replicate the steel ride, but only at the top end.
There are many reasons for the ride quality: the tubing has stood the test of time and Wilier obsesses over feel and handling like no other brand of bike I’ve reviewed. Specialized and Trek come close, but they’re not making a steel road bike. Instead, they’re just two of the companies that have spent most of their existence refining carbon to ride like Columbus SL and the Superleggaro.
If you are into the bike, as a hobby or lifestyle, I strongly recommend you add a steel whip to your quiver. It’s like vinyl for an audiophile, shooting b/w for a photographer, or eating street-vending noodles for a foodie.
By grounding your aesthetics in the basics, you can better understand and appreciate the latest tech. Speaking of that, the Superleggera I have in is built up with Campy Chorus and Scirocco wheels, and Cinelli bar and stem.
If the sun is out and I’m riding road, the Wilier is my choice for this summer. Riding steel doesn’t have to be a new Italian build, see Mark V’s Sannino build. The main selling point of the Superleggera is it’s a handbuilt product with a nod to the past and completely new and renovated fine finishes.
In person, it’s gorgeous.
Wilier sent me the Campagnolo Chorus build that retails for about $4800 USD.
- Drivetrain Campagnolo Chorus
- Frame Acciaio Columbus Sl
- Fork Acciaio Columbus Sl
- Handlebar Cinelli Giro D’italia Drop Bar
- Stem Cinelli Giro D’italia
- Headset Campagnolo Record, Threaded Hs7-Re
- Shifters Campagnolo Chorus, 11S
- Brakes Campagnolo Chorus
- Front Derailleur Campagnolo Chorus, 11S
- Rear Derailleur Campagnolo Chorus, 11S
- Crankset Campagnolo Chorus 50/34T
- Bb Shell Campagnolo Record Threaded
- Cassette Campagnolo Chorus, 12/27T
- Chain Campagnolo Chorus, 11S
- Wheelset Campagnolo Scirocco 35
- Tires Vittoria Rubino Pro Speed
- Saddle Selle San Marco Rolls
- Seatmast Ritchey Classic Silver, Prd 19936
Also published on Medium.…