The J+ BOOSTER 2 EV Charger is now available. I’ve been using a prototype of the charger ($699 on Amazon) at the Shadow House for over a year. Considering the charger’s long list of features, what matters to me the most is how tough it is. The J+ BOOSTER 2 EV Charger has been through four seasons in the North Cascades. Thanks to an IP67 rating, it survives.
It works as well as the day I plugged it in. The 2.2-pound weight means I can unplug it when we leave and back in when we arrive. If I somehow drove over it, that’s ok too. It can handle it. The 9.6kw, 40 amp output is a top-off charge or a full one overnight when plugged into a NEMA 14-50 outlet.
Considering range anxiety, see what Fortune had to say about the charger.
It’s not exactly the same as carrying a spare can of gasoline but for a battery electric vehicle it’s about the closest thing to it and could allay range anxiety concerns for those worried about running out of juice on long trips.
While the one I use stays put, I wouldn’t think twice about tossing it into the trunk and taking it with me on a road trip. Long popular in Europe, the J+ BOOSTER 2 Portable EV charger is finally available in the U.S. Juice Americas Inc is the U.S. subsidiary of Swiss-based Juice Technology AG. Considering the international origins, the charger ships with every possible outlet.
Read through the features below. The J+ BOOSTER 2 is like a Swiss Army knife, even protecting itself and the sockets from overheating. As EV sales heat up in North America, the J+ can take it.
- Socket Compatibility: Charge from any conventional household or industrial socket-outlet throughout North America.
- Power Input: Input options cover all supply current variants, either 120V or 240V, and from 6 to 40 amps.
- NEMA Compliant: This charging device comes with eight adapters compliant with the National Electrical Manufacturers Association (NEMA) standards (NEMA 5-15, NEMA 6-15, NEMA 5-20, NEMA 6-20, NEMA TT-30, NEMA 14-30, NEMA 6-50, and NEMA 14-50), and all are equipped for automatic detection of socket input current. The NEMA 5-15, NEMA 6-15, NEMA 5-20, and NEMA 6-20 adapter plugs are also fitted with the J+ CELSIUS temperature monitoring system. The basic set includes the NEMA 5-15 and NEMA 14-50 adapter plugs. All other adapter plugs are available as extra accessories.
- Ruggedized Durability: The in-cable control box is waterproof and dustproof (to protection rating IP 67), can be used within an ambient temperature range of -22°F to 122°F (-30°C to 50°C), and is driveover-resistant to wheel loads of up to 6,600 lbs. (3 metric tons).
- UL Certified: J+ BOOSTER 2 has been certified by UL and bears the certification mark UL2594 for electric vehicle supply equipment (EVSE) as well as UL2231-1 and -2 for personnel protection for EVSE in full compliance with the two international standards IEC 62196 and IEC 61851-1 and the Restriction of Hazardous Substances (RoHS) Directive.
We're riding townies, adventure, and mountain bikes. Find recommendations on our store page. As Amazon Associates we earn from qualifying purchases.