The Garmin Varia RCT715 update adds a rear-facing camera, more robust mount, battery life, and an app. The app means the Varia is usable without a Garmin computer. That’s great news for cyclists considering adding a monitoring system to their bike and already have a computer. The Hammerhead Karoo is what David has been using.
- Built-in camera captures footage at up to 1080p/30 fps during a ride
- If an incident is detected, video footage from before, during and after the event will automatically be saved.
- Easily access video footage, transfer videos or customize camera settings, such as data overlays from the Varia app.
- Visual and audible notifications warn of vehicles approaching from behind, up to 153 yards away.
- The tail light can be seen up to a mile away, which can make it easier for drivers to see a cyclist before the radar sees the vehicle.
- Compatible with a Garmin Edge® cycling computer, Garmin smartwatch, or the Varia smart device app.
- Battery life: up to 4 hours of battery life with radar and tail light on solid high or night flash and up to 6 hours with radar and tail light on day flash – all with the camera continuously recording at 1080p.
- Price: $399.99