Back from vacation in the smoky west to news of the Sony Alpha 7C launch. The Alpha 7C (preorder from B&H) is a compact full-frame camera. I’ll keep this post brief until I can better understand where this body fits in Sony’s full-frame lineup and their sensor market leadership. The launch happened live at 6 PDT, video embedded below. Note the BMX flatlander here.
What I know now is, the Sony Alpha 7C is sized like a much smaller APS-C (cropped sensor) body with the electronics of a larger full-frame. And, with the corresponding image and video output. Sony’s market research indicates there is a demand for a strongly spec’d body for vloggers and creators who want non-cropped sensor performance. Also, cyclists who want to stuff a full-frame camera into their jersey
In other words, a do-it-all well camera that fits in the palm of your hand like the RX series or 6500. Also, at a value price point of $1799. In comparison, the a7 III costs $1998. Nearly the size of a 6 series Sony, it’s has almost twice the sensor.
I personally prefer to shoot with a full-frame body. The ergonomics of APS-C don’t work well with my face, but certainly, understand where Sony is positioning themselves. My compact camera is the RXO and RX1R II, which I take everywhere with me as my second camera.
After all, Sony is a miniaturization company. It’s in the DNA and what they’ve done since they’re founding. The Sony Alpha 7C is a step-up camera from a phone and for a customers who think traditional DSLRS are too large.
Sony Alpha 7C Launch Specs
The Alpha 7C is the world’s smallest full-frame camera and so is the RX1, but the RX line does not have an interchangeable lens with a focal point shutter and IBIS. Here are the spec highlights.
- Full-frame performance in a compact body: 20% smaller body, 30% smaller kit.
- 24.2 MP BSI full-frame sensor for image quality
- New compact shutter
- 693 points focal plane phase-detection, covering 93% of the frame
- Real Time Tracking AF with Human and Animal Eye AF, for those filming themselves and their pets for Instagram
- 10 FPS with mechanical or electronic shutter
- 4k 24p/30p with 6K oversampling, HLG/HLR, S-Log3/2 with 14 stops of dynamic range
- 50axis IBIS
- Wifi and USB-C connect, same as in the a7r IV
- OLED EVF
- Magnesium alloy body with dust and moisture resistance.
- Z100 battery
So, Sony has a camera for
- Speed—a9 II , $4498 at B&H or Amazon
- Resolution—a7r IV, $3198 at B&H or Amazon
- Sensitivity—a7s III, 3498 at B&H or Amazon
- General—a7 III, $1998 at B&H or Amazon
And, now one that’s a full-frame compact and strongly spec’d. It’s expected to ship in November. I sure hope it’s not smoky then like it is now.…
We're riding townies, adventure, and mountain bikes. Find recommendations on our store page. As Amazon Associates we earn from qualifying purchases.