This video shows me pouring a cup of espresso from a mini bicycle pump that gets 16 bar attached to a portafilter with a water reservoir and it works! First thing I noticed was wait, a mini pump that pushes 16 bars? Whoa! And it makes good coffee, even better. As long-time readers know, I’m a coffee snob and travel everywhere with a bike AND coffee. I made my own travel press and it’s admittedly as messy as a dirty chain. So for the trip to Deer Valley to attend Press Camp 12, I brought this with me and it totally works. Posted a photo into Facebook about the Handpresso and fans replied that they’ve been using them for years.
Handpresso are available from Amazon.com for $129.00. The brewing process is
- Pump up the volume to 16 awesome bars
- Fill the reservoir from the in-room coffee maker or a carafe.
- Insert the Illy ESP coffee pod
- Release the pressure value
- Hot water is forced through the pod and into your cup with a nice creme.
Note: this is NOT as good as a Rancilio at home, but way better than in-room coffee or a burnt cup from the Starbucks in the hotel lobby.
Where’s the presto valve attachment?…