I’ll arrive at SXSW for the Mobile Socials, Built, and a talk about making stuff on Saturday. Also to see friends, party, and congratulate Zeldman on his “hall-of-fame” status. This month we launched our new Velocity collection and once back in town, will settle into the Spring, Summer, and then Cross season with the D-Plus. In Austin, I’ll have a new project bike with me and maybe some Italian steel too.
Photo by KK+
Bike Hugger’s more than 5-year history is intertwined with our friends in Austin. It’s there that I came up with the idea for a blog about bike culture, riding socially at tech events, and launched Built.
In recent messages, I’ve been asked
Where can we find bikes?
Do we need a badge for that?
Austin is a total bike town and that’s another reason we visit every year. Also, even for the casual cyclist, here’s a tip: downtown Austin is about to get gridlocked and the smart attendee zips around on a bike.
To the badge questions, the free Bike Share requires a badge, but the Mobile Socials do not. You do need a wristband to get into the Google Village for the start and end of the ride on Saturday. The ride on Saturday requires no badge or wristbands.
Note: riding with us is not required either, you’re welcome to just show up for the party.
Mobile Socials at a Glance
Mobile Social SXSW 12 with Google Maps
This is the first ride that starts and ends at the Map House inside the Google Village.
- 4:00 - 5:00 PM – meet up at Bar 96 with Google at their Map House for Swag + Fun
- 5:00 - 6:00 – ride with Social Cycling ATX at Festival Beach
- 6:30 – 10:00 – arrive back at the Google Map House
Mobile Social SXSW 12 with Social Cycling ATX and Tern
This is the second ride with Social Cycling ATX and Tern.
- 5:00 - 6:00 PM – meet at Club Deville for cheap beer and a Marching Band
- 6:30 - 8:00 – ride with Social Cycling ATX and Tern
- 8:00 - 10:00 – arrive at The Frontier for free beer and food with the Grill Girls.