New Die Antwoord just dropped and Flea is in it, Dita Von Tease, Jack Black too… and this edit isn’t safe for work, but wow, and on rotation while we’re writing and editing Issue 18.
10 take aways from last nights MFG Cyclocross “Instant classic” Starbucks GP… GO
- If you missed it, you missed it. This was one to remember. Epic’esk conditions, record crowds, and flowing energy under every tent. People here really are crazy.
- You either love or hate these conditions. Most everyone I saw last night was a lover… and spreading it.
- If I were a dog I think i’d be a Labrador Greyhound mutt.
- Training is overrated, just motivate. Seriously, in a race like that, you could be the fittest, leanest, highest FTP around. Would it matter if you’re not psyched to get nasty, crash, and butt slide into course stakes?
- Ian Tubbs has arrived. Dude!?!?
- The right gear makes a big difference - see gear selection below.
- SRAM road CX1 in mud? - PASS
- Jason Miles is now an official pit boss, thanks buddy! What did you learn standing there in the gook all night?
- My family rocks. It’s pretty awesome having you’re lady and little grom yelling at you every lap. Thanks Nikole Rock! Love you
- Winning never gets old.
Gear and Bike Set-Up
- Bike: 56cm Trek Cyclocross Collective Boone Disc w/ IsoSpeed. These machines are like soft tails with just enough give in the rear. I can sit it down through nasty corners and still there’s amazing punch and snap on exit. 16.3lbs of fun - game changer…again.
- Wheels: Vision Metron 40 Tubular. These are as light and stiff as the next and twice as expensive hoops out there. Wider rims and heavier gauge spokes make em’ more stout than most. Love.
- Tires: Clement Cycling PDX Tubular F/R @ 19/20 psi. Nothing better. B bike had slightly higher pressure and wow, I can tell. Go low… lower than you think.
- Guts: SRAM Force CX1 Hydro disc. Last night was a big test for a guide-less chainring. PASS with flying colors. Bikes stopped and shifted well all night after only 2 pits.
- Cockpit: FULL SPEED AHEAD K-Force 44 compact carbon bar and 90 stem. Anyone else see how many spacers I run underneath? HA! I once was quoted as saying “No carbon bits on CX bikes”. Well that was then…
- Pedals: crankbrothers Candy 11. I prefer the Candy over the Egg’s simply because they are a little easier to locate. None-issue in mud and 100% rebuildable.
- Shoes: The new new Bontrager XXX race shoe. For a full fledged carbon race shoes this thing runs well and holds up to the gook. Two Boa ratchets trump velcro hands down.
Photo: MFG Cyclocross
Like Russ said, aint cyclocross fun? It is and I’m anxious to get back out there.
Translated from Sporza
Van Aert dethroned “king” Nys on the Koppenberg. One particularly disgruntled Nys howl because the doubled Denuwelaere - a teammate of Van Aert - bothered him.
Or a lapped teammate impeded the sprint finish, setting up Van Aert for the win. The GIF is on Twitter from Peloton mag.
Drop into the animated adventure of Lego Mountain Biking! And see how Oxburger Studios made it.
You were expecting Halloween bike, right? So were we and here it is from Make and Kyle Scheele
Far more elaborate then my wraith bike with granny basket.