Seattle Election Endorsements
by Kelli on Aug 08, 2007 at 6:06 PM
With the primary election moved up to August 21st, many Seattleites find themselves flipping through election pamphlets, researching candidates and bombarded with advertisements. Cascade released their 2007 Primary Endorsements today, offering up another perspective on the many transportation issues currently faced by Puget Sound residents.
The Cascade Bicycle Club ventures into politics and elections for one vitally important reason - policies that effect bicycling begin and end with our elected representatives.
However, good answers can’t tell the whole story. We also evaluate a candidate’s past votes, talk to local activists and, when necessary, interview them face to face.
Critical votes for incumbents spanned a range of issues impacting bicycling, including: child safety, bicycle lanes and trails, transportation funding, land-use and sprawl.
Finally, we ask ourselves, “If elected, will they work with us to improve conditions for bicycling?”
Remember, Cascade’s endorsement process is strictly non-partisan.
The Bike Master Plan has yet to be approved by the City Council and the Stone Way Gap is an issue that impacts city residents across the board, far beyond us crazy cyclists.
Make people-moving a priority over moving cars. Get out the vote!
More on Kona’s Ute
by Byron on Aug 08, 2007 at 1:35 PM
Corresponded by email today with Robin Sansom, Kona USA, about the Ute and learned more. The kona.cz photo we posted is an early version from Kona’s product launch and some changes have been made to the final production version (new image below is from their catalog and more current), including
- 700c wheels & tires
- longer head tube for better handlebar position
- lower top tube to increase standover/clearance
- change of specification on stem, grips and saddle (aesthetics)
- rear plastic deck on the rear is machined from 100% post consumer recycled material
- Ships standard with two specifically designed, grocery-style pannier bags that include a raincover. Four bags capacity with with additional bags and accessories offered.
And Robin shared the insight that, “I see these types of bikes blossoming over the next couple of years, with the rise in fuel prices, green awareness and the escalation of overseas economies.”
Click for full-size version
- MSRP is $799, explaining some of the spec decisions (rear V-brake, no internal hub, etc.).
- Xtracycle compatibility – ” … the design concept was to make a complete bike that is economical, comfortable, light & offers a cargo area/options. Although we considered making the bike compatible with Xtracycle bags, this compromised the other design objectives. Xtracycle is a wonderful concept, but to accommodate their accessories, we would have added to the weight, complexity and expense of the model. We are definitely considering a variety of accessories & bags that will become available for the bike.”
- Wheels – Kona tested this bike with both 26” and 700c wheels and 700cc was preferred
- Foot Rests – Kona is considering and will keep us posted
Big Wheels: Ride Low Live Free
by Byron on Aug 08, 2007 at 7:12 AM
The 26th Almost-Annual Big Wheel Rally is coming up, in Boulder, on Saturday August 25th. During the last critical mass ride, a dude was there on a big, big wheel and it reminded me of all the power-sliding I’d do on my big wheel, way back in the day – I led the big-wheel gang in the neighborhood, knocking off lemonade stands, demanding lunch money for safe passage, that sort of thing (I also had a big Green Machine, which was made just to spin). I’d have to check that delinquent big-wheel past at the Rally, as it’s for fun and benefits Saint Joseph Hospital Foundation.
3 Feet Survey
by Kelli on Aug 07, 2007 at 8:39 PM
With the 3 Feet campaign in full swing, Cascade has posted a survey to gauge the impact of the message. Share your thoughts and get the word out.
A Folding Fixed
by Byron on Aug 07, 2007 at 9:44 AM
Seabiscuit posted a comment to my Dorky Little Folding Bike post with a link to a folding fixed! That’s the massive awesome … .
Ditty Bops Back in Town
by Byron on Aug 07, 2007 at 8:29 AM
The Ditty Bops are back in town playing at the Triple Door on 08/10/07 at 7:00 pm. Last year, at the end of the summer we met and rode with Abby and Amanda on their tour.
Million-Dollar Bike Paths
by Byron on Aug 07, 2007 at 7:06 AM
Something about a canopy-covered, water-cooled, bike path seems really Blade Runner like … but hey, they’d ride bikes in the future as well or at least replicants would (well, we hope).
I didn’t find any updates on Qatar’s million-dollar bike paths, but construction should have started.
Hugg it out for August 7th
by Byron on Aug 07, 2007 at 5:50 AM
While the “worst traffic ever” media coverage builds in Seattle, I heard one mention of “ride your bike,” on the news last night, the Seattle Times offered cycling tips, and mentioned Cascade’s “bike buses,” groups of riders will meet in outlying neighborhoods and pedal downtown together (more on that, when we find the details).
Bike o’ sphere
Team Bike Hugger
- Later this week we’ll look at Novara’s Transfer and Safari
- Huggacasts are expanding to more topics
- Snowcasts coming from Snow Hugger
- Add a cross race to the list of things to do at Interbike this year
- Our coverage will expand with 3 bloggers at the show
- We’ll also ride all over Vegas
What are those wheels?
by andrew_f_martin on Aug 06, 2007 at 8:56 PM
I’ve had a couple people ask me about, “those bike messenger rims”. They come in all sorts of colors, are rather deep sectioned, and tend to find their way onto the masses of fixed gear bikes rolling around downtown.
Velocity Deep Vs. I’ve never even owned a pair, but I’ve ridden them and there’s a reason they are on messenger bikes. They are solid, and dependable, and seemingly bombproof. For someone who earns their living with their equipment, you’d expect nothing less.
KONA 08 Ute
by Byron on Aug 06, 2007 at 10:58 AM
Spotted on kona.cz, by a hugga reader, the KONA 08 Ute – that’s just beautiful …
Page 541 of 612 pages
‹ First < 539 540 541 542 543 > Last ›